Draft below will be updated after the first committee meeting in Fall 2021.
Undergraduate Fellowship Committee, Charge
Name: Undergraduate Fellowship Committee
Members: Committee members will be staff in the Libraries who supervise and mentor student workers, with emphasis on those who have nominated students for fellowships. Members will serve staggered terms of no less than two years.
- Departmental Libraries, Janice Dees
- Health Science Center Libraries: Sarah Meyer
- Human Resources, Joe Piazza
- Library West, Kelly Handy
- Marston Science Library: Danielle Johnson
- Student Success Program: Alexandrea Glenn (ex-officio)
- Special & Area Studies Collections: Keith Manuel
Terms begin on September 15. The membership selects a chair for each year at the first meeting following the beginning of new terms.
Description of Responsibilities:
The Undergraduate Fellowship Committee is charged to support the Smathers Undergraduate Student Fellowship Program. Specific advisory and operational activities include:
- Maintain broad awareness in the program: program announcements via email, and presentations (e.g., Town Halls);
- Field and respond to questions about nomination process from interested parties;
- Review and rating of proposals, and make award recommendations to the Dean of University Libraries;
- For awards:
- Meet with the Fellows to match them to Fellowship Directors;
- Collaboratively facilitate the process to develop the Fellowship Plan and review submitted materials to ensure the program outcomes are supported by the fellowship;
- Share information on planned fellowships with Libraries Public Information Officer;
- Monitor status of awarded fellowships to ensure optimal support for Fellows, Fellowship Directors, and collaborators;
- Maintain documentation on components for successful fellowships and educational experiences;
- Establish and follow procedures for periodic reporting program outcomes;
- Regularly assess and consider improvements to the Program to ensure it delivers effectively on its purpose.
Brian Keith, Associate Dean for Administrative Services and Faculty Affairs, and Laurie Taylor, Senior Director for Library Technology & Digital Strategies, liaise with this group on an ongoing basis to support its work and ensure best outcomes for all stakeholders.