The George A. Smathers Libraries is committed to inspiring team building and employee pride by connecting library staff to meaningful volunteer opportunities in the community, providing rewarding and unifying experiences that will help strengthen bonds and bring members closer together in shared public service, and addressing real community needs that make an impact.
The UF Libraries believe in the value of contributing to the success and health of our communities. This mission ties into goal #5 of the University of Florida Goal Setting Task Force Final Report, “A strengthened public engagement of the university’s programs with local, national, and international communities” through increased outreach with the environment and community through engagement in community service.
This Committee’s purpose is to foster meaningful community service-based team building by providing real-life experiences that motivate employees. Community-based team building events have a proven track record of developing team cohesion, staff morale, and motivation while making a substantial contribution within the community. By providing staff the collegial support to participate in community development, this Committee will facilitate volunteer opportunities that have the potential to enhance communication skills, teamwork, and problem-solving through real-life situations.
The Committee is responsible for:
- Developing stronger professional relationships and inter-departmental teams through mutual volunteer opportunities in the local community
- Providing volunteer opportunities for library staff with limited mobility
- Providing volunteer opportunities that:
- Support diversity and equity within our local community
- Have a strong impact on the Gainesville and Alachua communities
- Elevate employee pride and motivation
- Provide employees with a fun and rewarding experience
- Bridge the gap between business and communities
The committee is made up of 4 or more members. Membership from all divisions of the Libraries is encouraged. Members serve a three-year term with members rotating off at the end of each year and new members rotating on at the beginning of each year. Selection of either a single Chair or co-Chairs is made at the beginning of each calendar year.
- Lauren Adkins (co-Chair)
- Ashley Vaught (co-Chair)
- CJ Gott
- Tabby Pursley
- Patricia Takacs